Artificer The Artificer is a kind of spellcaster in the world of Nadiel. Though magic is hard to bend to a persons will, it is possible. Through a vast knowledge of gemstones the Artificer is able to channel the magical energy of the world to create certain effects. Using magic in Nadiel, however, is not just as simple as holding a stone in the air and waiting for something to happen. This is where the Artificer comes in. The Artificers expertise lies in knowing what stones do what and how to interface with them to get a desired effect.
Races: Utenden, Available to other races but they forfeit their racial advancement.
Skill Points 4+ Int Mod (x4 at 1st)
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Fort. Save||Ref. Save||Will Save||Special|
|1||+0||+0||+0||+2||Gem Application I, Gem Knowledge, Disable Trap|
|5||+3||+1||+1||+4||Jewel Work I|
|6||+4||+2||+2||+5||Gem Application II|
|10||+7/+2||+3||+3||+7||Jewel Work II, Geo-Tech II|
|12||+9/+4||+4||+4||+8||Gem Application III|
|15||+11/+6/+1||+5||+5||+9||Jewel Work III|
|18||+13/+8/+3||+6||+6||+11||Gem Application IV|
|20||+15/+10/+5||+6||+6||+12||Jewel Work IV|
Class Skills Appraise, Concentration, Craft (all), Disable Device, Knowledge (Arcana, Engineering), Open Lock, Profession, Search, Use Magic Device.
Artificers are proficent with all simple weapons as well as all geotech devices and weapons. They are also proficient with light and medium armour but not shields.
Gem Knowledge represents a gem type that the Artificer is familiar with. These gems are the ones that can be used through the Gem Application and Geo-Tech abilities. At 1st level the Artificer automatically is knowledgeable about 3 different gems of the players choice. Each following level a new gem may be added to this list. See the List of Gems and Applications for info.
The Artificer controls the magical energy that gems draw forth from the world by building machines to channel that power. Each level of Geo-Tech offers the Artificer new contraptions to harness magical energy. Building these devices requires a successful craft check of whatever item the artificer wishes to build +5 for each level of application of the desired effect. For example if the artificer wishes to make a pair of geotech bracers using application I of an emerald than the DC would be 10 + 2 (AC bonus) + 5. This would create a pair of bracers with an AC bonus of +2 that heal 1d4 subdual damage every 3 rounds. The Artificer is able to maintain a number of geotech devices equal to their intelligence modifier plus their level. If the Artificer were to sell the device he would have to pay XP equal to the (level at time of creation x 100) divided by (Application level inverse).
The inverse means if it was application level IV it would be divided by 1 or if it were application level I it would be divided by 4.
Only an Artificer is capable of using Geo-Tech items without having to make a Use Magic Device check (DC 10+level of artificer at time of creation.).
- I Standard Equipment: The first level of Geo-Tech allows the Artificer to build things that are considered standard. These are: Boots, Gloves/Bracers/Gauntlets, Jewelry, and Handheld Projectile Weapons (A gun or crossbow for example.)
- II Stationary & Multi-Part Devices: The second level of Geo-Tech allows an Artificer to build large stationary devices such as a turret or weather machine. Additionally it allows the creation of multi-part equipment devices which draw their power from more than one gem (Of course this requires multiple craft checks.).
- III Mobile Devices: At the pinnacle of Geo-Tech is the artificer who is able to craft mobile devices. These are always multi-part machines which are powered by several amethyst* as well as other gems to grant it special abilities. Such devices include wagons and exoskeletons/battle suits.
The salvage ability allows an Artificer to remove a gem from a piece of Geo-Tech. A successful craft check must be made to do this (DC = to the level of the artificer at the time of creation.).
With the ability Facet, the Artificer is able to embed a gem into an existing piece of equipment, such as a sword. To do this a craft check must be made, the result of which must exceed the craft DC of the item to be modified. The embedded gem grants the item one of the gems abilities (No higher than level II.). Charges are still consumed through use. Unlike with Geo-Tech, faceted items are usable by anyone. An item may only have one gem embedded within it.
Multi draw allows the artificer to use any of a gems abilities through a Geo-Tech device, instead of just one.
Jewel Work is the Artificers ability to work on the precious stones in his collection. Each level of Jewel Work enables the Artificer to further change any gems that he may have in his possession. All of these abilities require the successful use of the profession (Gem Cutting) skill.
- I Polishing: This skill allows the Artificer to increase the effectiveness of a given gem. This adds a bonus of +1 to +5 based on the success of the skill check (DC 10, bonus increase at each 5 interval past 10 starting at +2) to the DC of any spell cast from the gem.
- II Cutting: With a successful check (DC 15) the Artificer is able to cut a gem into a number of smaller gems. This splits the number of charges of the original gem among the new gems. A failed check destroys the gem.
- III Coloring: Using various metallic dusts the Artificer is able to tinge a gem slightly, as long as he succeeds at his check (DC 18). This adds an elemental effect (This effect varies based on the substance used to color.) to whatever the gem does.
- IV Splicing: After succeeding at a skill check (DC 22) the Artificer is able to splice one gem onto/into another. This combines half of one gems charges onto the others full charges. The new gem is capable of everything the previous two gems were.
Even the most green of Artificers know at least a few applications of the gems they own. While most travelers may know a few tricks to utilize the power of gems (Such as sewing an emerald into a shoe to ward off foot pain or blisters.) only the Artificers know anything that is more than just a little trick. Gem Application represents the Artificers growing knowledge about gems. It reflects how they can apply specific types of gems to warrant different effects. An artificer automatically has the application knowledge for every gem that he has knowledge of applicable to his current level. See the List of Gems and Applications for info.
Example Gem:Emerald The emerald is a deep green and transparent gem. It is known to have many healing benefits. Applications: I
- At stage I application the emerald can be placed near sources of pain to gently heal them. Heals 1d4 Subdual damage every 3 rounds. Will not heal normal damage.
- The emerald can effectively close wounds when placed near the body. Wounds will close after 1 round.
- The gem can be consumed by an artifice to heal wounds. Will heal 4d6 hp each round used. Gem has a chance to be consumed Starting at 10% and increasing by 10 each time it is used.
- If placed in a collar worn around someones throat the emerald will prevent poisoning. There is a 25% chance the gem will be shattered and become useless if it protects against a poison of DC22 or higher.
- Insertion near a characters heart within 5 rounds of death will restore them to life without wounds but unconscious.